Title: Business Insurance Account Executive – Senior
Reports to: Business insurance manager. Incumbents are responsible for a territory in a given geographical area and are expected to reside within the territory.
Works closely with a business insurance underwriter(s). Assists in the development of profitable commercial lines sales from assigned agencies.
Identifies commercial lines prospects, prepares presentations, provides pre-qualification underwriting decisions, and collaborates with the business insurance underwriter to produce profitable sales growth. Provides on-site sales calls and support to assigned agencies and perform occasional field inspections to assist in pre-qualification or renewal underwriting information.
Must be able to travel in and out of their territory. Develops and underwrites commercial business generating both growth and profit in accordance with established goals. Maintains regular contact with assigned agencies.
- Solicit commercial business from assigned agencies securing underwriting information in accordance with guidelines and as deemed necessary for risk approval and processing. This includes evaluating risks exceeding authority and collaboratively with the business insurance underwriter referring to management with recommendations.
- Assist agents on prospect calls and in development of information as needed.
- Determine final pricing for new business quotes in collaboration with the business insurance underwriter.
- Work with business insurance manager on development of sales and profit goals and consistently produces exceptional results for territory and individual agencies.
- Assist manager as needed on: a.) agency prospecting and appointments, b.) business development, c.) auditing, d.) account collection, e.) agent terminations.
- Keep current on competition in area and communicate significant developments to business insurance manager.
- Conduct frequent sales calls and organize travel in such a manner as to most efficiently utilize time and minimize expenses.
- Review and evaluate agencies, making recommendations on agency and book management issues.
- Participate in special projects and assume additional responsibilities as necessary from time to time for the improvement of the sales and underwriting performance of the region/company.
- Acts as the lead person in a team charged with the responsibility of providing commercial lines sales and underwriting to assigned agents within their territory.
- As necessary for the development of state and determined by manager, be involved with agency/industry associations and/or state department of insurance.
A minimum of six years in commercial underwriting/field underwriting with demonstrated success in producing profitable growth. Should also have 4+ years experience in field underwriting/marketing with a proven record of success in implementing successful programs. Possess demonstrated success in agency plant management for profitable growth including successful appointments and proper terminations if warranted.
Education: college degree or a combination of education and experience deemed an equivalent of a degree: IIA Underwriting Program, AU 65 and AU 66; CPCU 551 and 552.
Communication and Collaboration Skills
Written: ability to construct properly structured and grammatically correct business letters with the ability to explain insurance concepts in a clear, concise, and understandable language, both in writing and orally.
Oral: ability to effectively communicate company goals, decisions, and insurance concepts in a clear, concise, and understandable language. considered an expert and role model in strong persuasion and negotiation skills. Must be able to effectively communicate in 1-on-1 situations and to various size groups.
A thorough understanding of the underwriting thought process, evidence of responsible use of authority levels, reinsurance restrictions, rules and rating procedures for ISO, NCCI and AAIS, and risk management alternatives available to write profitable business.
Ability to analyze complex, multi-class, multi-location risks and develop a comprehensive plan including pricing, proper form application, terms and conditions to enhance the potential profitable performance of the risk.
May lead special projects or training programs. Competence in use of Word is essential and Excel a plus. Expert competence with Salesforce.com.
Proven ability to gather and review all relevant information and display expert problem-solving skills to make sound decisions after utilizing available resources and evaluating likely outcomes of alternatives, then persuasively communicating the final decision. Also, being able to make recommendations and propose innovative solutions for clients.
Fred Taverne , CPCU, CIC, AU
State Auto Insurance Companies
Phone: 860-652-6801 | Email: Fred.Taverne@StateAuto.com
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.